Vehicle Registrations

What you need to know about registering your vehicle in New Hampshire.

New Registrations

Registering a vehicle in New Hampshire is a two-part process. With the exception of Mopeds, all motor vehicles must begin their registration process at the town or city clerk in the town or city in which they reside. The second part of the process is the state transaction; however, the Town/City Clerk may be a Municipal Agent of the State and may be able to complete the state transaction part of the registration process for an additional fee.

If you are a new resident of New Hampshire, please visit our "New to New Hampshire" page for more information.

To register your vehicle in New Hampshire, you must first go to your town/city clerk's office to determine your residency and start your registration process. Once residency is determined by your town or city clerk, if you have the title of your vehicle or it is exempt from title you may process the entire transaction at your town or city clerk's office. If you have an out-of-state loan or are leasing the vehicle, please see the 60-day, temporary plate page.


Because registering a vehicle in New Hampshire is a two-part process, there are fees due to both the town/city and to the State. For an explanation of fees, please see RSA 261:141 for state fees, and RSA 261:153 for town/city fees. In addition to the registration fees, there is an $8.00 plate fee for the first time you order plates.

Registering a vehicle purchased from a New Hampshire dealership: If you purchased the vehicle at a New Hampshire retail dealership and are a New Hampshire resident, present to your town or city office the certificate of title, or the blue copies of your title application. Please provide proof of residency if you have not already done so as established by your town/city.

Registering a vehicle purchased from an out-of-state dealership: Present to your town/city clerk your title from the dealership or the New Hampshire title application from the lienholder. If it is a brand new vehicle, a Manufacturers Statement of Origin (MSO) is required. Please provide proof of residency if you have not already done so as established by your town/city.

Registering a vehicle purchased in a private sale: Present a properly assigned title certificate to the town/city clerk where you reside. Please provide proof of residency if you have not already done so as established by your town/city.

Registering a title-exempt vehicle purchased in a private sale: Present a proper bill of sale pursuant to RSA 261:148. You will also need proof of VIN which can be an original or copy of the title, a previous or copy of a New Hampshire registration, or a properly completed VIN Verification form. Please provide proof of residency if you have not already done so as established by your town/city.

Renewals and Transfers

Renewing a registration: Bring your current motor vehicle registration or your renewal notice to the town or city where you reside to pay your permit fees first. The DMV cannot process the registration without the town fees being paid first. Most towns/cities are also municipal agents of the state and, for a small, additional fee, can also complete the state portion of your registration.  Please contact your Town/City Clerk or Tax Collector directly to find out if your town or city allows online registrations or registrations through the mail.

Renewing a registration while temporarily out of State: Within four months prior to your registration expiration date, please send your renewal notice or registration certificate to the town or city in New Hampshire where you reside, along with the proper payment. Please notify the town or city clerk if you would like them to complete the state portion as well. The State will not be able to complete your registration if the town fees have not been paid first. Please include the out-of-state address where you would like your registration to be mailed.

Registration Transfers

To transfer a registration from a currently registered vehicle to another vehicle (for example you purchase a new vehicle and would like to put plates on it from another vehicle registered to you), you will need to bring your current registration of the plate you want transferred and proof of ownership for the new vehicle to the town or city clerk where you reside. Transfer credit is only allowed if the primary owner's name on the old registration and the new registration do not change. Please note: Once the plates have been transferred, the old vehicle is no longer legally registered and may not be driven on any roadway.

If you are a surviving spouse, please bring your title and/or lienholder information to your town/city clerk and a copy of your spouse's death certificate. If it is a new vehicle, no credit will be given. For lease transfers, please bring in your current registration and your new CTA and/or Title to your town or city clerk.

Registration Copies, Plate Changes and Replacement Plates/Decals

Duplicate Copy of a Registration

A Duplicate Copy of a registration is available when a current registration has been misplaced, lost or has been destroyed.

Please complete a Copy of a Registration form. The fee for this transaction is $15.00 per registration and can be completed at any DMV office.

Certified Copy of a Registration

Certified copies of registrations are available for the following purposes:

  • Needed for a court case or police investigation.
  • If you move out-of-state, and the new state requires a certified copy of a registration.
  • If you have sold your vehicle to an out-of-state resident and the vehicle is title exempt.

Please complete a Request for Motor Vehicle Records form. The fee for this transaction is $15.00 per registration and can only be done at the Concord DMV office. Please allow extra time to process as these transactions involve research and are not something readily available at the counter level.

Plate Changes

You may change your plate type at any point during the year. A completed Application for Replacement Plates and Decals is required, and you will be required to pay the plate fees ($8), the new registration fee ($15), plus any other applicable fees for the plate type requested.

Replacement Plates/Decals

You may request replacement plates and/or decals if they were lost, stolen or destroyed at your Town/City Clerk’s office, with the following information:

You may also utilize the DMV’s Drop Box Services by enclosing photocopies of your NH Driver License and vehicle registration along with the application and appropriate fee.