What you need to know to renew your Driver License or Non Driver Identification Card online.
REAL ID: If you do not currently have a REAL ID compliant license or non-driver identification card and wish to get one for the first time, you will need to renew in person by making an appointment at any DMV office, and bring with you the required documents. Please visit our REAL ID webpage for more information.
Photograph: If you choose to renew online, your current photograph will be printed on your new license or identification card. There is no option to have a new photo taken when you renew online.
Renewal Identification Number: If the renewal notice you received states that you are eligible to renew online, it will contain a "Renewal Identification Number (RIN)". If you cannot find your notice or if your renewal notice indicates you are not eligible to renew online then you must renew in person at a DMV office. If you attempt to renew online and you get "locked out" by the system you will have to renew in person at a DMV office.
Applicants applying for their 21st birthday: To ensure your permanent license or identification card is printed in a horizontal orientation, you should renew online no sooner than your birthday.
Before starting your renewal, please note:
- Only you can renew your own driver license or non-driver identification card.
- You must have a Renewal Identification Number (RIN).
- You must have your current driver license or non-driver identification card with you because you will be asked to enter information that is printed on your card.
- Please consider giving the "Gift of Life".
- You are required to enter a MasterCard, VISA, Discover or American Express credit card for payment.
- You must be connected to a printer to print your temporary license or identification card. The printout, along with your current hard plastic license or identification card will serve as "proof" until your new card is mailed to you. Your new license or identification card will be mailed to you within 60 days.