Walking Disability Placards

How to apply for walking disability plates or placards.

"Walking Disability", as used in RSA 261:88 means a disability which limits or impairs a person's ability to walk, as determined by a

  1. Cannot walk without the use of, or assistance from, a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair, or other assistive device; or
  2. Is restricted by lung disease to such an extent that the person's forced (respiratory) expiratory volume for one second, when measured by spirometry, is less than one (1) liter, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than 60 mm/hg on room air at rest; or
  3. Uses portable oxygen; or
  4. Has a cardiac condition to the extent that the person's functional limitations are classified in severity as class 3 or class 4 according to the standards set by the American Heart Association; or
  5. Is severely limited in the ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological, orthopedic, or other medically disabling condition.

Apply for Walking Disability Privileges

If you are a New Hampshire resident and wish to obtain walking disability plates or placards, an application for Walking Disability Privileges must be filled out and signed by both the applicant and a physician. The application must be filled out completely and include a brief description of the medical condition and how it limits or impairs the applicant's ability to walk. There are two types of walking disability placards: Temporary and Permanent. Temporary placards are authorized for up to six (6) months, and Permanent placards are authorized up five (5) years; however, they do expire at the same time as your Driver License or Non-Driver Identification Card, and must be renewed.

Where to Apply

Both Temporary and Permanent walking disability placards may be obtained at any DMV Registration Office. Renewals and transfers of the plates may be be done through your local town/city office or any DMV Registration Office. Walking Disability Placards are renewed at the same time as your Driver License or Non-Driver Identification card.

Applications may also be mailed to:

NH Dept. of Safety
DMV - Registration
23 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03305

Plates and Placards

Permanent Hanging Placards: An applicant who qualifies for walking disability privileges may apply for a removable windshield placard containing the international accessibility symbol. Those with permanent disabilities shall be issued a blue placard with white lettering, not to exceed five (5) years. Placards are assigned to an individual, not a vehicle. The placard shall be removed from the rear-view mirror when the vehicle is in motion.

Walking Disability Plates: If you have a permanent disability that qualifies you for walking disability privileges, you may apply for walking disability plates containing the international accessibility symbol and a distinguishing number. An exchange of the plates you currently hold may be made at any DMV Registration Office. There is a charge to replace your plates. If it is not your renewal month, additional applicable fees may apply.

Dependent Transportation: Walking disability plates, or a permanent or temporary hanging placard may be issued for use on a vehicle owned by a relative of a person with a walking disability, if the vehicle owner is a resident of this state, a member of that relative's household and the disabled person is dependent on the vehicle owner as his/her primary means of transportation.

Qualifying Organization: Walking disability plates, vanity plates or hanging placards may be issued for use on motor vehicles owned by an organization in the private or public sector that is primarily engaged in a business in this state involving care, treatment, rehabilitation, or transportation of persons with walking disabilities.

Parking Privileges for Persons with a Walking Disability: (RSA 265:74) Any motor vehicle carrying the special plates or hanging windshield placard issued to a person with a walking disability under RSA 261:88, or a similar license plate or card issued by another state or country displaying the international accessibility symbol shall be allowed free parking in any city or town, including any state or municipal parking facility where a fee is charged. Each city or town shall have the discretion to set the time periods using guidelines which shall be provided by the governor's commission on disability. The free parking shall only be allowed if the person who qualifies for the special plates or hanging placard is being transported in the vehicle to or from the parking place and will be exiting the vehicle.

Lost or Stolen Placard: Please mail a letter stating that your placard has either been lost or stolen. In your letter please provide your name, address, date of birth and a phone number. This letter must be signed. If you have two (2) placards please also provide in your letter the number on the placard that you still have so we may invalidate the missing card. If both are lost or stolen please state that in your letter.

Reporting Abuse of a disability parking space: Parking spaces that are designated for handicapped parking may only be occupied by a vehicle driven by, or a vehicle transporting, a person with a walking disability who has been issued a walking disability placard or set of plates. Unauthorized use of a handicap space should be reported to the local police department in the town or city where the violation occurs. If you are a person with a walking disability and submit clear photographic evidence to the police that someone without a disability parking plate or placard or a disabled veteran's plate, parks in a handicapped parking space or blocks an access aisle, this evidence is sufficient under RSA 265:69 to prove a violation in court.

Out of State Plate or Placard: New Hampshire recognizes disability parking placards or plates from all states; and by law, vehicles with disabled veteran plates from this or any state are allowed to park in these spaces.