Title Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions regarding Titles.

What is a title?

A title is  a secure document issued by the DMV which represents ownership of a motor vehicle.

What vehicles are not required to be titled?

New Hampshire does not title motor vehicles that have a model year of 1999 or older. Certain vehicles are considered "exempt."

What is the process for obtaining a title in New Hampshire?

Title  applications are prepared by a New Hampshire Town/City Clerk, a New Hampshire  licensed dealer or a lending institution.

I have moved to New Hampshire, and my title is held by a lien  holder. How can I obtain a New Hampshire title?

Contact the city or town clerk where you reside.

How can I  transfer ownership if I sell or trade my vehicle?

  • Transfer ownership to the buyer on the reverse side of the title by filling in buyer's name, buyer's address, and current odometer reading.
  • Obtain signatures of seller and buyer.
  • Give the title to the buyer.

How can I sell a vehicle that does not require a title (exempt)?

I have lost or misplaced my title. How can I obtain a duplicate?

How long does it take to issue a title?

Approximately  30 to 50 calendar days once the title application is received.

What is the difference between a registration permit and title?

A  registration permit allows you to operate a vehicle in New Hampshire, and a  title is proof of ownership.

Does New Hampshire have a salvage title law?

Yes, every  salvage vehicle must have a salvage inspection before it can be registered.  Once the vehicle is inspected, a (DSMV 547) will be issued.

Where can I go to get my salvage vehicle inspected?

Please go to one of our Salvage Vehicle Inspection Locations.

Does New Hampshire have a "Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship" (JTWROS) provision?

  • Yes, you may designate JTWROS on your title application.
  • Joint tenancy with rights of survivorship can be used for non-married owners.
  • The conjunction "or" on a New Hampshire Title is considered to be JTWROS.
  • A married couple or partners in a civil union have automatic joint tenancy with rights of survivorship if the vehicle is used for family purposes.