New Boat Registration
New Boat Registration
Any boat operated on the public waters of New Hampshire, including tidal and coastal waters and all inland waters, must be registered and must display the bow number issued by the DMV as part of the registration process, unless the boat is exempt as provided in RSA 270-E:4. Boats may be registered at any time of year, but each boat registration expires on December 31st of the year it was registered.
How to Register a Boat in New Hampshire: To register a boat in New Hampshire, the owner of the boat must provide the following:
- Completed Boat Registration Application.
- Proof of ownership. Pursuant to Saf-C 2302.02, each applicant for private or commercial registration of a vessel shall provide proof of ownership of a vessel to the department. For an initial registration of a vessel, proof of ownership shall include documentation containing both the authorized signature of the applicant and of the person or entity that sold the vessel to the applicant (please view the Vessel tab on the Bill of Sale page for all required information).
- Owner's valid, current Driver License.
- The proper boat registration fees. Please call the DMV Boat Registration office at (603) 227-4030 to determine the proper fee for your particular boat, pursuant to New Hampshire law (RSA 270-E:5 Vessel Registration Fees, and RSA 72-A:3 Boat Fees).
- Verification of Vessel Identification if the boat is homemade or when a 12-digit Hull Identification Number (HIN) was not assigned to a vessel manufactured after 1972 or when there is no HIN present for any vessel manufactured for any given year.
Once a boat is registered, the owner will be issued a registration certificate along with a decal. The registration certificate must be kept on the boat at all times when the boat is being operated. Every New Hampshire registered boat must display a bow number and current registration decal.
Where to Register a Boat in New Hampshire: Registrations for privately-owned boats may be processed in person by utilizing our Drop Box Services, at authorized boat agents, or may be sent by mail to the Concord DMV at:
NH Dept. of Safety
DMV - Boat Registrations
23 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03305
Add an Additional Owner: To add an additional owner to your boat registration you need to provide the following:
- Current boat registration.
- A letter of request to add an additional owner that includes:
- the full name, address and date of birth of the additional owner
- both owners signatures; and
- a brief description of the boat that includes the Bow Number.
- Photo copy of the additional owner's driver license, non-driver identification or birth certificate.
- A completed Application for a Copy of a Registration (RDMV 110).
- $15.00 fee.
Registering a Homemade Boat: Please provide a bill of sale, a Verification of Vessel Identification, receipts from materials purchased, floor plans or blueprints, and a driver's license when registering a homemade boat.
Registering your Boat if you live in another state: If you live in another state, and if your boat is used primarily in New Hampshire, (51% or more) it may be registered in New Hampshire.