School Bus Drivers
What you need to know regarding driving a School Bus.
To be a school bus driver in the State of NH, applicants must:
- Be 18 years of age or older. Interstate drivers must be 21 years of age or older.
- Hold a valid driver license for a minimum of 2 years.
- Hold a valid medical card which is required to operate any vehicle that has a GVWR of 10,001 lbs. or more or if the vehicle being operated was designed to carry 16 or more passengers, including the driver.
- Have a School Bus Certificate issued by the Office of Pupil Transportation.
- Hold a valid driver license for the type of vehicle being operated:
o Operator (Class D) License: Vehicles with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less NOT designed by the manufacturer to carry 16 passengers including the driver.
o CDL Class C (with a “P” (Passenger) and “S” (School Bus) endorsements): Vehicles with a GVWR of less than 26,0001 lbs. that are designed by the manufacturer to carry 16 passengers including the driver.
o CDL Class B (with a “P” (Passenger) and “S” (School Bus) endorsements): Vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 lbs. or more.
School Bus Certificate: A School Bus Certificate is a separate certification required that is not associated with a driver license.
School Bus Certificate Requirements: In order to obtain a School Bus Certificate, you must be currently employed and on a school bus company roster (DSMV 126). You must pass the School Bus Certificate test and re-take the exam upon every driver license renewal to stay certified. To schedule a School Bus Certificate test, please make an appointment at a local DMV office.
CDL School Bus Endorsement (S endorsement): A school bus endorsement (S endorsement) is a federally recognized endorsement required by any state to drive a school bus designed to transport 16 or more students, including the driver.
CDL Passenger Vehicles Endorsement (P endorsement): This endorsement is required to drive any commercial vehicle designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver.
CDL Endorsement Testing Requirements: In order to obtain Passenger and School Bus endorsements, applicants must successfully pass the below listed knowledge and skills tests. To schedule the knowledge tests, please make an appointment at a local DMV office.
• Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT) must be completed before road test is scheduled (for more information please visit FMCSA, and FMCSA FAQs) (not required if already holding a CDL).
• School Bus Knowledge Test for “S” endorsement
• Passenger Transport Knowledge Test for “P” endorsement
• Air Brakes Knowledge Test (if applicable)
• School Bus Road Skills Test (a skills test must be taken in a school bus vehicle representative of the desired CDL class).
• Passenger Transport Road Skills Test (skills test must be taken in a passenger-type vehicle representative of the desired CDL class).