Respond to a Motor Vehicle Ticket Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions regarding responding to a motor vehicle ticket.

I do not have a credit card. Can I still pay my ticket online?

If someone authorizes use of his/her credit card, the ticket may be paid online. An example of this is a parent paying for a dependent's ticket.

My ticket states "must appear". Is it possible for me to pay a fine for this offense?

If "must appear" is on your ticket, you must follow the instructions on the ticket. Payment cannot be paid online.

My payment was declined. Who do I contact at the DMV?

DMV FR Plea-By-Mail
23 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03305
(603) 227-4010

I would like to dispute my payment. How do I do this?

"Refund Process" or Payment Dispute: Any such requests must be submitted in writing to the NH DMV, Bureau of Financial Responsibility – Online Ticket Payment. Requests must include:

  • A signed statement outlining/describing the basis of the request.
  • A copy of the traffic citation/complaint associated to the transaction.
  • A copy of the notice of receipt associated to the transaction.
  • Your full name and date of birth. Your mailing address.

Mailing address:

Bureau of Financial Responsibility – Online Ticket Payment
23 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03305
Fax: (603) 271-1555

My credit card payment was declined. I don't think it should have  been declined. What should I do?

DMV does not capture specific information related to the "declined" status received when the card was processed. You will need to contact the company that issued the card directly.

Alternative methods to respond: Attempt online or call the Credit Card Line at 1-800-272-0036 with another credit card, or appear in person. If the card holder is a friend or family member they will need to be present (on the telephone or in person).

May I pay the fine online, but still go to court to dispute my  ticket?

No. Online payment requires you to plead Nolo Contendere or Guilty. Once the payment is accepted, the conviction will be posted to your driver record. Should you wish to later be heard in court, you would need to purchase a copy of the paid ticket and then file a motion with the court to have the case heard in court.

If you want to dispute the ticket (fine amount, offense, etc.), you would need to indicate your plea as Not Guilty and forward your signed response to:

NH Dept. of Safety
23 Hazen Drive
Concord NH 03305