Renewals and Transfers

Renewals and Transfers

Renewing a registration: Bring your current motor vehicle registration or your renewal notice to the town or city where you reside to pay your permit fees first. The DMV cannot process the registration without the town fees being paid first. Most towns/cities are also municipal agents of the state and, for a small, additional fee, can also complete the state portion of your registration.  Please contact your Town/City Clerk or Tax Collector directly to find out if your town or city allows online registrations or registrations through the mail.

Renewing a registration while temporarily out of State: Within four months prior to your registration expiration date, please send your renewal notice or registration certificate to the town or city in New Hampshire where you reside, along with the proper payment. Please notify the town or city clerk if you would like them to complete the state portion as well. The State will not be able to complete your registration if the town fees have not been paid first. Please include the out-of-state address where you would like your registration to be mailed.

Registration Transfers

To transfer a registration from a currently registered vehicle to another vehicle (for example you purchase a new vehicle and would like to put plates on it from another vehicle registered to you), you will need to bring your current registration of the plate you want transferred and proof of ownership for the new vehicle to the town or city clerk where you reside. Transfer credit is only allowed if the primary owner's name on the old registration and the new registration do not change. Please note: Once the plates have been transferred, the old vehicle is no longer legally registered and may not be driven on any roadway.

If you are a surviving spouse, please bring your title and/or lienholder information to your town/city clerk and a copy of your spouse's death certificate. If it is a new vehicle, no credit will be given. For lease transfers, please bring in your current registration and your new CTA and/or Title to your town or city clerk.