Motorcycle Endorsement Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently asked questions regarding how to get a Motorcycle Endorsement.
How can I obtain a New Hampshire motorcycle endorsement?
- Transfer an endorsement from your out-of-state license, or
- Successfully complete the Motorcycle Rider Training Course, or
- Successfully complete written and road tests at one of the DMV Motorcycle Road Testing Locations.
Am I required to take a motorcycle training course in order to obtain a New Hampshire motorcycle endorsement?
No. Courses are offered on a voluntary basis to New Hampshire residents. Anyone who successfully completes the course is exempt from taking the required DMV skills test. The motorcycle rider training course is required if you are under the age of 18.
Can I obtain a motorcycle endorsement without taking a motorcycle training course?
At what age can I register for a motorcycle training course?
18 years of age or older. Anyone under the age of 18 who successfully completes a driver education program can register with permission from a parent/guardian.
How can I register for a motorcycle training course?
Submit a Motorcycle Rider Course Registration Form (DSMV 414) to the DMV.
How much do the course(s) cost?
- Basic Rider Course – NH Residents $155.00, Non-NH Residents $205.00
- Intermediate Course – NH Residents $60.00, Non-NH Residents $80.00
- Experienced Rider Course – NH Residents $65.00, Non-NH Residents $85.00
Are motorcycles and helmets provided during the training?
Motorcycles and helmets are provided for the Basic and Intermediate Rider courses. You may bring your own helmet, however, we do have a small number of helmets available for use during the course. You must provide your own street-legal motorcycle and safety gear for the Experienced Rider Course.
What are the requirements for a basic rider course?
- Be eligible for a motorcycle permit.
- Have the skills necessary to balance and ride a bicycle
What are the requirements for an intermediate rider course?
- Complete the Basic Rider Course within the past year.
- Pass the written portion of the Basic Rider Course.
If you failed the riding portion of the Basic Rider Course, you can choose to retake the skill evaluation during the Intermediate Rider Course.
What are the requirements for an experienced rider course?
- Have a valid New Hampshire driver license with a motorcycle endorsement.
- Have at least one year and/or 2,000 miles of riding experience.
- Bring a street-legal motorcycle to the course.
Can out-of-state residents register for a Motorcycle Rider Training course?
How can I become a Motorcycle Rider Training instructor?
Complete a New Hampshire employment application and a MRT Instructor Application. You must pass an interview, a knowledge test and an on-cycle skills test. Minimum qualifications:
- Experienced motorcycle operator.
- Licensed motorcyclist for at least 3 years.
- No more than 3 moving violations within 3 years prior to the application.
- No alcohol-related violations.
- Graduate of the motorcycle Basic Rider Course.
Forward applications to:
NH Dept. of Safety
DMV - Motorcycle Rider Training Program
23 Hazen Drive
Concord NH 03305